I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Friday, December 28, 2012

Year in Review - 2012

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Looking back on the books I've read this year, I have found some new favorites, gotten into some new series and since first starting the blog, I have a better idea of what types of books appeal to me.  I wasn't as aware of it before I had so many choices and recommendations put in front of me now by authors and bloggers.  Unfortunately a really pretty cover helps.

According to my Goodreads stats, I read 127 books this year (way more than I got to last year!) and here's hoping I'll make it a little more every year.  Looking back, I thought I'd pick my top favorites for this year:



Top indie read: Marina in a Green Dress by Alan Davidson  [my review]

Top 'Big 6'-published read: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan [my review]

Top Jane Eyre derivative read: Ironskin by Tina Connolly [my review] (this wasn't easy to pick!)

Top non-reviewed read:  The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale. I read this book before I started the blog, and I really loved it - it made me laugh and cry, and the ultimate message touched me.  It's a gorgeous story.

On the blogging front, my most popular post this year was my Awesome Adaptations pick for classic fairy tale - The Little Mermaid.  It seems like the image shows up a lot in search engines.  Interesting.  

I went to a couple author signings this year - one for Cheryl Burke's dance memoir at the L.A. Book Festival.  I never did blog about my festival visit.  I hope to go again next year and maybe do more.  I didn't see nearly as many panels as I have in the past. The other book signing was for Tina Connolly's Ironskin.  It was fun to meet her and tell her a little about how much I loved the book.  Not too much though, I didn't want to scare her. :) 

Thanks for taking this trip with me down memory lane!  My New Year's resolution is to make my reader life much more eventful so I can post about it!  And of course, READ MORE BOOKS!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

6 comments:

  1. I am going to try before break is over to read Ironskin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good- I hope you enjoy it! I think I picked it for best JE derivative because it felt like a really original take on a JE retelling.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great year! I have Ironskin and Broken to read still.

    All the best for the year to come =)

    Rinn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay, I hope you enjoy the books! And thanks, the same to you! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome year I'd say!! Congrats :) Can't wait to read Unspoken & Ironskin too :D All the best for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think so! I hope you enjoy those books! Thanks for stopping by and have a great 2013 too!

      Delete