I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, January 20, 2013

Suspense Sundays (30)

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
"Now let's see... Suspect... Suspectant... Suspend... Ah here we are, Suspense.  The condition of mental uncertainty usually accompanied by apprehension or anxiety.  Fear of something that is about to occur, as 'Do not keep me any longer in SUSPENSE.'"

Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962, claiming to be "radio's outstanding theater of thrills."  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  I love the old-fashion story-telling and I thought it would be fun to give a short review of an episode every Sunday.  



"Thieves Fall Out"
Air date: November 16, 1943
Starring Gene Kelly
Art Kramer is part of a group of black market thieves.  His take for the month has been all used up because of a truck accident and other mishaps.  When one of his group invites him to his house for a little rest, he gets an idea.  Kill his host, take his money and then frame another group member who is staying close by.  Unfortunately, these thieves seem to think alike.

Even though I'm bound to enjoy anything with Gene Kelly, I found this episode a little convoluted and dry.  There's a lot of set-up and characters, but a really brilliant twist that makes it worth it.  Gene Kelly playing against type also helps make this a much more interesting story to listen to.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

4 comments:

  1. Gene Kelly? WHERE? LOL I am sorry to hear the episode wasn't as good but I agree Gene Kelly makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL my reaction exactly! Nothing matters but Gene. :D

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this before! Wait it's a TV show in the way back agos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a radio show, though there are some old TV shows that have this kind of vibe- Twilight Zone for one. So if you like that you might enjoy listening to this. I love the phrase "way back agos!" :D Totally gonna use that!

      Delete