I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Friday, February 15, 2013

The Classics Spin! (My list)

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
The Classics Club is having a fun event for participants, where we post twenty of our fifty books, number them, and then on Monday, the 18th, they will post a number and we have to try and read the corresponding book by April 1st.  I'm already a little behind my goal of reading one Classic every month, so this is a great opportunity to get me to pick up another one soon!

The Club suggests some categories for my picks so here they are:

Five I can't wait to read:
1. Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence
A book I've heard a lot about, and there are some possible Jane Eyre connections, so I'm definitely interested.
2. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
A classic children's story I should have read long ago!  And then I can compare it to the musical!
3. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
This is rather a recent interest of mine because of a podcast I like to listen to.  And I saw a really good movie recently where H.G. Wells chases Jack the Ripper into 1970s San Francisco.
4. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
I've heard alot about the British adaptation of this sci-fi book and how good it is, so I want to read the original before I watch it.
5. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
It's been recommended to me more than once!

Five I'm hesitant/dreading to read:
6. Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
Love the miniseries, but it is a very long book!
7. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
I love the musical, but again it's a novel of daunting length!
8. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Not sure if I will really like this story, but I am curious about it.
9. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
I tried reading this once and was a little bored. I really want to push through and get to the good parts though!
10. Paradise Lost by John Milton
I think I will enjoy this, but I'm not overly fond of reading story length poems.

Five I'm neutral about:
11. Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
12. The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo
13. Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens
14. Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres (the spin number was 14!)
15. Atonement by Ian McEwan
No comments on these really, just books that I wouldn't pick to read first thing.

Five Blogger's Choice (Jane Austen!)
Austen has the most books on my list, so I should get started!
16. Emma
17. Mansfield Park
18. Persuasion
19. Sense and Sensibility
20. The Italian by Ann Radcliffe (not enough Jane on my list apparently)

And just for funnsies, I'm going to "predict" the number the Classics Club will pick by using the random number generator on my phone.  ...And the number is 20!  So if I'm wrong, I'll challenge myself more by also trying to read "The Italian" by April 1st.

I'm at the Gallifrey One Doctor Who convention all this weekend, so I won't be checking in on people's blogs and commenting til next week, but I have my posts scheduled, and hopefully will be updating on twitter!  That is if cellular network can take the load over there!  Have a great weekend everyone!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

5 comments:

  1. Love the Secret Garden and especially Anne of Green Gables..you should watch the adaptations as well they are very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you blog about the convention!! Awesome!!

      Delete
    2. Definitely looking forward to reading those books! And I watched one adaptation of The Secret Garden which was great, but I'm saving the Anne of Green Gables series until after I read the books. :)

      Delete
  2. I love The Age of Innocence; I think you will be pleasantly surprised. And yeah for Jane Austen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, glad to hear that! I'm going to have to move it up on my TBR list then. :)

      Delete