I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, August 25, 2013

Suspense Sundays (59) My Wife Geraldine

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.   {My archive list of episodes}


"My Wife Geraldine"
Air date: March 1, 1945
Starring Edward G. Robinson and Jeanette Nolan
>>Episodes here<<

Miss. Barton finds her lodger Mr. Graham sitting in the dark in his rooms while the police are closing in around him.  Miss. Barton wants to know if it's true he's the Black Widower and killed his wife and the other women before.  Even though Miss Barton can't believe it because he had seemed so in love with his wife Geraldine. So Mr. Graham makes Miss Barton promise to keep a secret.  That Geraldine is gone but only because she never existed.

All that summary was just in the prologue of this episode, and right when Mr. Graham reveals his wife never existed, I knew this was going to be a good episode.  And it was!  Actually pretty sweet when it comes to the end, and I really love the suspense stories that sort of have a happy ending.  It's funny how Mr. Graham gets into his predicament - his need to pretend that he does have a wife only because the guys he goes to work with on the train are always talking about their wives and he didn't want to be left out.  And then it escalates because his boss wants to promote him, with the stipulation that he is married.  I mean he has to bring in a marriage license for the promotion!  You can't be trusted to do a good job at work and be single? Geez.  By the end I felt pretty sorry for Mr. Graham, he seemed like such a nice guy, it's a wonder that he didn't get a wife before!  But like I said there's a happy ending, and this was such a great episode overall!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment