I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, November 10, 2013

Suspense Sundays (70) Too Hot To Live

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.   {My archive list of episodes}


"Too Hot to Live"
Air date: October 26, 1950
Starring Richard Widmark
>>Episodes here<<

Down on his luck Jefferson wanders into a small town - forced to stop to get his worn shoes mended.  The Sheriff of the town befriends him and while Jefferson is waiting for his shoes, the Sheriff offers to buy him some coffee.  When he gets to the diner, the waitress flirts with Jefferson big time and offers him a drink in her rooms close by.  Jefferson agrees.  The alcohol, heat and lack of food makes Jefferson woozy, and when he wakes he discovers the waitress has been murdered, and the jealous cook from the diner discovers him and accuses him of murder.  Jefferson goes on the run.

It was easy to surmise that Jefferson was not guilty of the crime in this, but just who and why someone killed the waitress was a great mystery.  Actually the solution is a bit of a cop-out, and Jefferson happens upon the answer by luck, but it was still a very suspenseful story.  I could have told Jefferson going up to the waitress' room was a bad idea though!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

2 comments:

  1. Endings where the character just stumbles upon the answer are some of my least favorite mysteries. I think it's the most fun when both you and the main character have enough information to solve the mystery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I do like to feel that I could have solved the mystery (even though I never do!) because then I feel like the author did a great job crafting it.

      Delete