I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Awesome Adaptations (69) Mulan

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
This meme celebrates an awesome adaptation related to a weekly category. Any format of adaptation (television series, film, web series, etc.) is acceptable as long as it is based in some form on a book. Awesome Adaptations was created by Alisa Selene at PictureMeReading.

An Awesome Adaptation based on Folklore
Title: Mulan
Adapted from: The Ballad of Mulan

I just recently saw the Disney film version of Mulan so I'm so glad I can include it one of the last Awesome Adaptations on my blog!  It's so fun and entertaining, which I of course expected.  Disney emphasizes that Mulan is not a conventional woman for the time period in China which adds humor as well as more depth to Mulan's character.  The original keeps the story simple - Mulan just does what needs to be done, and it doesn't touch on how she felt about it.  She also kept up the charade for far longer than Disney's Mulan was able to - and there's probably a great story in that!

Of course Disney made this legend their own, with a romance and comic relief in Mushu.  And in creating some vivid villains in the evil looking Huns.  I find it funny how the Huns are characterized in this - they are so blatantly wicked but territorial conquest was sort of popular at that time, and for many times after that so it's kind of unfair to them.  I know it's just a movie.

What I like so much about this adaptation is the way Mulan's growth is emphasized - even the romance is not the focus and in the end we just get Mulan and Shang open to getting to know each other.  And Mulan is such a wonderful role model because she's intelligent and brave in the way that she is scared, but acts despite her fear.  I love that message in this film with her character and it doesn't hurt that Disney made her story so appealing by fleshing out the secondary characters and showcasing the Chinese culture in the secondary story with Mushu.  There's great attention to detail and care for the story and why did it take me so long to watch it!?

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

10 comments:

  1. Definitely one of my top Disney movies (along with Hercules and Aladdin)!

    I've not read the source material, but I have seen some other more 'serious' films based on the legend, which have been interesting. This one (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1308138/) is one I've watched more recently, but she doesn't do a very good job of disguising herself, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting to see a grittier version of her story - I'll have to check out the other film versions of Mulan! It does seem like it would be hard to conceal your gender in an army of men for years anyways though, so I understand filmmakers. :D

      Delete
  2. I love that you reviewed this! I can watch "Mulan" over and over and over again. What a great girl-power movie. And the song "I'll Make a Man Out of You" makes me smile every time. So witty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'I'll Make a Man Out of You" is my fave song from the movie! It's so funny, and the sequence in the film is great! Thank you for stopping by Helen!

      Delete
  3. Aw, I love this movie so much, it warms my heart to think of you seeing it for the first time :) Did you read the original as well? And if so, did you find it online somewhere or did you get a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found the poem/ballad online which was a really short read. This is what I read - http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/ps/china/mulan.pdf

      I know I should have seen this movie a long time ago!

      Delete
  4. Mulan!! I enjoy Mulan soooo much. One of my favorite Disney movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely deserves to be one of the top Disney movies - they did such a great job with it!

      Delete
  5. This is such a fun movie!

    ReplyDelete