I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Review: The Naturals

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
The Naturals
by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
YA Crime Procedural
Amazon  /  Goodreads

Plot Summary:

Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it’s not a skill that she’s ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they’ve begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn’t realize is that there’s more at risk than a few unsolved homicides— especially when she’s sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own.

Sarcastic, privileged Michael has a knack for reading emotions, which he uses to get inside Cassie’s head—and under her skin. Brooding Dean shares Cassie’s gift for profiling, but keeps her at arm’s length.

Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms closer than Cassie could ever have imagined. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive.

Review:

This was a great, immersive read!  I love the idea that people who are more attuned to psychological tells and body language can use those skills to fight crime - it's like they are super-human but it's an attainable power.  Well if you are born with the knack.  The author assembles a great team of Naturals in this book too - they all have their quirks and their secrets which kept their unit sometimes tense, and in this case sometimes suspicious.  There are lots more to explore with the individual characters especially because some of the characters are initially a bit unlikable but I think there is definitely more to them and it will probably change my opinion of them.

The love triangle is the only thing that disappointed me in this story.  It felt unnecessary and a bit unexpected considering how standoffish Cassie always is, and it was hard to believe that two guys are suddenly interested in her.  I was also frustrated by how much the two guys conformed to stereotype - with fun, charming Michael vs. brooding, damaged Dean.  Although I am a bit torn between them - I'm not sure if have a preference for who Cassie should pick yet.

Although the love triangle aspect took up more time than I cared for, the story moved along at a great pace, and the mystery of who the serial killer was, was very well done.  I was surprised by the reveal and the series of clues that led us to the solution was clever and intriguing.  I loved that each Natural's gift was important to the story and helped Cassie figure out the clues.  And the look into the science of the mind was very interesting for me.  I don't normally watch C.S.I. type shows so reading about the investigation process in this book was fascinating.  This was a very quick read for me and if you love mysteries and stories rooted in psychology you should give this a try!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

14 comments:

  1. loved this book! it was so exciting and intriguing. A total page turner! I am team Dean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree - glad you loved this book too! And I'm probably leaning towards Dean cause you know - brooding <3! :D

      Delete
  2. I liked The Naturals, but it was far from love on my part. I agree, I was not a fan of the love triangle - but then again, I'm never a fan of love triangles. I read this shortly after reading I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga, and this one just couldn't compete with the amazingness of I Hunt Killers. Have you read that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read I Hunt Killers but I've heard it was really good - I think I waited on it because I heard it was like a YA Dexter and I really enjoy the Dexter novels so I didn't feel the need to read it right away. But I need to check it out!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this book too! The love triangle bit did annoy me (like it always does when it appears in books), but I really loved the psychological aspect of it and the cast of characters. :) Jennifer just posted the cover for the sequel, and I'm looking forward to reading it!
    Great review!

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I haven't seen the cover for the sequel - going to check that out now! I think psychology is so interesting, and it was a bonus that you can learn a little about it here while also getting a great story. :)

      Delete
  4. Very excited to read this one, as I've heard a lot of good things about it. I'm always looking for a crime or mystery book that's been written well! Lovely review. :)

    Aimee @ Read by the Undead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this was a great, fast paced read! I hope you enjoy it if you get the chance to read it!

      Delete
  5. NOOOO LOVE TRIANGLES!!! I did see this at the library when I went with Tory last time but abandoned it for something else :P but you definitely make me want to get it next time! I like that the mystery was well done, I always love a good mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes it really could have been better without the triangle I think , but the plot was really good and it had some great twists!

      Delete
  6. Awww, why is there a love triangle? BOO. I think I forgot what this is about, but it sounds like just my kind of read! I'm kind of obsessed with Law & Order and crime procedurals. :) I'm excited to see that the characters aren't simple and that the mystery is well done. I'll have to pick this up soon! Great review Charlene! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the author was inspired by Law and Order (or maybe it was CSI...) anyways I think you will really enjoy this one if you can get past the love triangle!

      Delete