I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, May 18, 2014

Suspense Sundays (97) John Barby and Son

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"John Barby and Son"
Air date: February 22, 1959
Starring John McIntire
>>Episodes here<<

John Barby is determined to prevent his son from being sent to a "home."  By which I guess they mean an institution of some sort?  His son apparently must be kept away from kittens as he can possibly turn violent.  John takes great pains to keep his son hidden as he tries to get away by hitching a ride, and getting a hotel room.  But the police are looking for him.

I think the twist in this story was fairly obvious from the beginning.  I mostly found it interesting to listen to because I was so eager to confirm my suspicions.  (Also the old time Pepsi commercial is precious.  "Be sociable!  Serve Pepsi!")  I was a bit confused in the end about just what was wrong with the son, and if the death of the wife had any extra meaning, but I suppose this was a clever enough story to entertain for half an hour. 

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun show :D I might try it out, actually, old commercials gotta be fab, haha.
    Maybe the kid was involved in the mom's death? Cause the violence towards kitties as a kid is a pretty clear sign of nastyness, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really great to listen to these! I hope you enjoy them! Possibly the son was involved with the mom's death - but I won't say anything more in case you listen to this! :)

    ReplyDelete