I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Movie Musical Challenge

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
I love musicals but I know there are a few musicals that I have not seen that I really should get around to watching because they are important or seen as iconic examples of the genre.  So for 2015, I've decided to make it a challenge on my blog to keep myself on track.  For a list to watch, I settled on the American Film Institute's top 25 Greatest Musicals, which as it turns out I've seen quite a few on the list already.  But for completion's sake, I will watch all the films this year and share my thoughts on it on my blog.

The Plan:

  • Watch 25 films this year - at least two a month.
  • Review and share my thoughts on the film.  Highlight my favorite sequence or song.
  • Wrap-up post in December where I will re-order the top 25 into my own top 25 favorites.

The AFI Top 25 List:

  1. Singin' in the Rain (1952)✓
  2. West Side Story (1961)
  3. The Wizard of Oz (1939) ✓
  4. The Sound of Music (1965) ✓
  5. Cabaret (1972) ✓
  6. Mary Poppins (1964) ✓
  7. A Star Is Born (1954)
  8. My Fair Lady (1964)✓
  9. An American in Paris (1951) ✓
  10. Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
  11. The King and I (1956)
  12. Chicago (2002) ✓
  13. 42nd Street (1933)
  14. All That Jazz (1979)
  15. Top Hat (1935)
  16. Funny Girl (1968) ✓
  17. The Band Wagon (1953)
  18. Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
  19. On the Town (1949) ✓
  20.  Grease (1978)
  21.  Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
  22. Beauty and the Beast (1991)✓
  23. Guys and Dolls (1955) ✓
  24. Show Boat (1936)
  25. Moulin Rouge! (2001)✓
I've seen 13 out of the 25 films (the checkmarked ones), and some of them, like "West Side Story" and "Grease", I've watched bits and pieces but never the whole film.  It will be interesting to watch all of these films in the context that they are thought of as the best, and see how they all compare to each other.  And what they reveal about the genre. I have found that most of these films are not on Netflix streaming for some sad reason, so the library will be my friend!

If anyone else would like to participate, I would love the company and to be able to discuss these films on your blogs!  Just comment below if you would also like to do this and I will be sure to keep up with your posts!  (I'm adding participant names manually to this post, so please do comment!)

Participants:
Quinn @ Quinn's Book Nook
Alyssa @ Sunrise Avenue
Rachel @ Paper Cuts
Liza @ Classy Cat Books
Angie @ Angela's Anxious Life
Jan @ Notes from a Readerholic

May 15, 2015 - Note about Movie Musical Challenge:  There are quite a few films that I feel could have been in the top 25 list, so by the end of this year, I would love it if all the participants could mention what films they would have liked to see in AFI's list.  It could be in the end-of-year wrap up post, or in the comments.  And there is no rush, let me know any time! With those ideas, I can compile a new list of musicals to watch for 2016!  If I don't include any potential films, it will just be to keep the list at 25 or under.

Right now, I'm sure "The Music Man" (per Quinn's input!) will be added, as well as a personal favorite Gene Kelly film - Anchors Aweigh!  If you need ideas, you can check out AFI's ballot which has a list of 180 musical movies.  Thank you, and I hope everyone will still like to participate in the challenge next year!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment