I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Friday, February 27, 2015

Review: Dreamfever

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
Dreamfever (Fever Series #4)
by Karen Marie Moning
Urban Fantasy
Amazon  /  Goodreads

Plot Summary:


He has stolen her past, but MacKayla will never allow her sister’s murderer to take her future. Yet even the uniquely gifted sidhe-seer is no match for the Lord Master, who has unleashed an insatiable sexual craving that consumes Mac’s every thought—and thrusts her into the seductive realm of two very dangerous men, both of whom she desires but dares not trust.

As the enigmatic Jericho Barrons and the sensual Fae prince V’lane vie for her body and soul, as cryptic entries from her sister’s diary mysteriously appear and the power of the Dark Book weaves its annihilating path through the city, Mac’s greatest enemy delivers a final challenge.…

It’s an invitation Mac cannot refuse, one that sends her racing home to Georgia, where an even darker threat awaits. With her parents missing and the lives of her loved ones under siege, Mac is about to come face-to-face with a soul-shattering truth—about herself and her sister, about Jericho Barrons…and about the world she thought she knew.

Review:

Well.  This book certainly resolves a lot of the tension between Mac and Barrons without really resolving anything!  Canny.  The previous book in this series (Faefever) had a very dark ending, so this book very fittingly continues with that as Mac is changed from the character I grew to love in the beginning of the series.  That darkness and edge to her is welcome though, because things have gotten so chaotic in the world of this book, and I was more than happy to see her kick butt along with a spunky, young sidhe seer, Dani who can be a lot of fun.

The pace of this book is more leisurely than the first three books I felt.  There's a lot more happening, and some shifts in POV to Dani, as Mac recovers.  At first Dani was a bit annoying, and I was eager to get back to Mac's POV, but Dani really grew on me, especially since she has so much pain she tries to keep hidden.  And it was poignant to see her look up to Mac so much.  I was also glad how much Mac relied on Dani because the main men in Mac's lives - Jericho, V'lane, and Christian have all let her down in some way.  Girl power!

With the slower pace it was, at times, easier to stop reading the book than it had been before, but I think the development of the story was where it needed to be, so I didn't think too badly of that.  There are still the same shocking twists and turns I love about the series, and a really suspenseful cliffhanger - I mean WTF!! status, that is again propelling me onward to the next book immediately.  It's ridiculous how eager I am to read each new installment!

On a side note, I've been listening to most of this series on audiobook, and for some reason with the fourth book they've changed narrators, and added a male voice for all the male characters in the story.  Which works wonders for Jericho Barrons especially since I felt that the prior female narrator gave him such a strangely unattractive voice.  The original narrator didn't really bother me as much while I was listening, but now that I've heard these new readers on Dreamfever, I definitely find it much more enjoyable.  And the back and forth banter between Mac and Jericho is more fun because it's faster when two different people are reading it!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment