I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Friday, July 3, 2015

Review: Curtsies and Conspiracies

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
Curtsies and Conspiracies (Finishing School #2)
by Gail Carriger
YA Fantasy
Amazon  /  Goodreads

Plot Summary:


Sophronia's first year at Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality has certainly been rousing. For one thing, finishing school is training her to be a spy. Now, as she sneaks around the dirigible school, eavesdropping on the teachers quarters and making clandestine climbs to the ships boiler room, she learns that there may be more to a school trip to London than is at first apparent. A conspiracy is afoot, one with dire implications for both supernaturals and humans. Sophronia must rely on her training to discover who is behind the dangerous plot and survive the London Season with a full dance card.

Review:

A second frothy and charming adventure with Sophronia and her friends, was a much needed delight for me in between some so-so books.  This book is a perfect pick-me-up for any occasion I think, because Sophronia is like a Victorian version of Nancy Drew, and I love that she also gets to go around in pretty dresses, and meet swoony boys while solving mysteries, and putting her spy skills to work.

The story focused on some mysterious happenings around the Finishing School, with Sophronia determined to discover what some of the teachers are keeping secret.  I love that Sophronia is so capable and intelligent amidst some of the high-school-ish drama in the school.  And the attentions of two very attractive boys.  I personally feel like there isn't much of a love triangle since the romance part of the story is not the focus, and I kinda think it's clear who Sophronia likes the most.  Although who knows where the author will take it!  Sophronia doesn't take things seriously though, and that is refreshing in a story with romance.

The story is lightly suspenseful and engaging, and a great second installment for the Finishing School series.  I feel like, although it is very enjoyable, it's hard for me to really explain what I loved about it, since the story feels so light and pretty.  I like the story and getting into the world, but I'm not majorly invested in it or the characters.  I am planning to finish the series however!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment