I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, September 20, 2015

Suspense Sundays (165) Night Must Fall

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"Night Must Fall"
Air date: March 27, 1948
Starring Robert Montgomery and Dame Mae Whitty
>>Episodes here<<

Danny is in love with the maid at Mrs. Bramson's estate, and lets Mrs. Bramson know that he plans to wed the maid Dora.  Old Mrs. Bramson takes a liking to Danny and enjoys his company, but Mrs. Bramson's niece, Olivia, is suspicious of him.  There has been a murder in the area and Olivia is intent on finding out if Danny is guilty.

This is another hour long episode of Suspense, and unfortunately in this case, I think the story dragged on for far too long.  It's an interesting set up, but there are characters introduced that got me confused, and then I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to take away from the story by the end.  Because it all seemed rather predictable and I didn't feel like there was a major twist.  The high point perhaps of this story is that it is based on a play which was running at the time, and it brought two actors from the production, and I always think it's nice that a play can be immortalized with some or all of the original cast since that particular experience of the play is transitory.  I'm sure watching the play would have been better than listening to this radio version though.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment