I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Friday, January 8, 2016

Best of 2015

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
My friends Alisa and Aidan recently posted a Top 10 Best of 2015 list on their blog Those Who Geek and it made me want to talk about some of the fun things I discovered last year.  Thank you Alisa and Aidan for the idea!  And if you haven't seen their post - go listen to the audio right now!  It's fun to hear them enthuse over the things they love.

In my Year in Review, I talked about books and blogging, but for this Best of, I wanted to focus on more nerdy obsessions I had - things not books and blogging.  Hopefully if I continue to do this in the future, I'll actually post it at the end of the year, but for now - here are nine things I completely fell in love with in the year 2015.  (I couldn't think of a tenth one!)

9. Julian Ovenden


Julian Ovenden played Capt. Von Trapp recently in England's live version of The Sound of Music.  I really liked him as the Captain, and from that found out what a fantastic singing voice he has! So rich and deep and smooth.  I've been listening to a few of his songs lately!

8. Show Boat

I watched this musical as part of my Movie Musical Challenge last year, and while I thought I really just love the song "Can't Help Lovin Dat Man", I recently watched (well I still have to finish it though) PBS recent live concert performance of the musical and realize that I do love the story and the music in general.  I'm curious to see how this concert performance ends because the musical does seem a bit sadder than the fifties film version I watched.  Also it's starring Julian Ovenden so... two birds, one stone.


7. The Property Brothers


I remember Angie talking about The Property Brothers on her blog more than a year ago, and I watched a few episodes and really enjoyed them.  I love watching home improvement though, and it's a bonus that the Property Brothers are so funny and engaging.  The formula of one brother being the real estate agent and the other brother doing the renovations is great too because you can get the whole process in one episode and they work well together.  But in 2015 when I found out seasons of the show was on Netflix, I binged watched five seasons in what feels like no time.  Now I'm obsessed.  They are so much fun to watch - so much personality - and the house transformations are fantastic!

6. Disney Tsum Tsum


I think I've talked about this enough, but just to be complete in my list - love the game, love the plushes, love the cuteness!  I don't think I've ever stuck with an iPhone game this long!

5. Captain Kathryn Janeway


I started and finished watching Star Trek Voyager in 2015 (my top 5 episodes list for the last season should be coming up next week!) and for me the best, the absolute best thing about this show was Captain Janeway.  I connected with her character on a deep level.  I just love her.  Her strength, her morality, her ideals and her attitude.  Her personality just clicked with me.  If I had to pick a favorite Trek character, it might be her.  I'd have to think about that though, there is stiff competition.  And I should finish ST Enterprise! 

4. Writing's on the Wall



I saw the James Bond film Spectre when it came out and really enjoyed it!  I'm not the biggest Bond fan, but I did like that this latest one seemed like a more traditional Bond film.  However, the real highlight was the song that went with the movie.  It's funny cause Alisa and Aidan do mention this song in their post, and not positively.  I do agree that the title sequence of the film that goes with this song is weird, but I am OBSESSED with Writing's on the Wall!!  I think it helps that I imagine it as a Rochester POV song cause it's so moody and melancholy (I even did a Jane Eyre photo edit inspired by the song).  I'm not really a Sam Smith fan though - I think this song appealed to me more than his popular ones because it has a big, lush orchestra sound.

3. Father Brown

I posted about this TV mystery series back in May and why I love it, so I don't have too much to add, except to acknowledge that it was a big highlight of the year for me.  The mysteries are great, and the character dynamics are so much fun.  The fourth season  And hopefully this year, I'll visit some of the film locations when I go to England in a few months!

2. Santa Claus

I like to listen to a comedy podcast called Comedy Bang Bang.  It's a crazy show of characters and improv that's supposed to be in an interview style.  It's really silly.  There was one episode with the host and three comedians.... um this is hard to explain. Just, the three comedians are all playing characters, and Santa Claus makes an appearance ("through facetime"), and the comedian Paul F. Tompkins plays him as so sarcastic and surly- I couldn't stop laughing.  This was the funniest thing I heard all year, I'm sure of it!  Start at 3:01 minutes to listen to the funniest scene (if you click here it will start to play at that point.)  This is all improvised too!  What Santa says when he enters the room is THE BEST!  Lauren Lapkus is the female voice in the recording, (she plays Ho Ho the Naughty Elf) and she also has a podcast.  She did two episodes with Paul F. Tompkins as Santa and those are fantastic. I was so excited when they showed up on my podcast feed!



1. Les Aventures de Tintin


My number one new favorite thing!  It's the animated series Les Aventures de Tintin.  I'm still trying to keep up with learning French, and I decided watching a TV show in French would help me passive learn.  So I bought all the episodes of Tintin on DVD and savored them, watching them in French with English subtitles.  I'm a little late to this bandwagon, but I loved every minute of it!  The show is just good fun - with adventure and mystery, and a simple, strong hero in Tintin.  His cleverness is his greatest asset and the supporting characters are fun in their eccentricity.  I just love the theme music too!  I do wonder why the English translators changed so many of the names.  I love the name Milou.  Snowy is just obvious.  As is Professor Calculus (Professor Tournesol in French - which means sunflower).  I guess Captain Haddock was enough on the nose for them to keep his name.  I like Dupond and Dupont better too.  Also the French voice for Tintin sounds much better to me - he sounds more manly/less childish than his English counterpart.  Just me?  Anyways, this was my favorite thing to watch last year!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment